As a trainer or instructor, whether you’re employed within an in-house organisation, at a training centre, or self-employed, it’s important to stay up to date with the Highway Code.
From today (14th September 2021), there are changes to the rules on using motorways, so it’s as important as ever that you and your pupils “check the Code” – and continue to do so on a regular basis.
The changes made as of today refer to the guidance on smart motorways. A total of 33 existing rules will be amended and two new rules introduced, with a number of amendments made to the additional information annexes.
- clearer advice on where to stop in an emergency
- the importance of not driving in a lane closed by a Red X
- the use of variable speed limits to manage congestion
- updated guidance on key factors that contribute to safety-related incidents, including unroadworthy vehicles, tailgating and driving in roadworks
The Highway Code allows you to:
- search for key words and phrases within The Highway Code
- quickly move between related rules
- follow links to the original laws that the rules are based on
- print sections more easily
Over the coming weeks, DVSA anticipates some further changes to the Highway Code, which we will be sure to share with you as and when they are shared with us.