From 26 December, the Welsh Government introduced 2m social distancing measures in public spaces to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Should regulations and guidance change, we will ensure to update you on any impact to services provided by Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
Driving Tests Lessons
All practical driving and riding tests and lessons with a professional instructor will continue. Learner drivers can continue practising driving but should be mindful of limiting their social contact with people outside of their household.
Theory tests in Wales can continue to take place with 1m plus distancing accompanied by robust Covid-safe measures to protect customers and theory test centre colleagues.
Some theory tests at Bala, Carmarthen, Cardigan and Dolgellau mobile theory test centres will need to be cancelled as DVSA is unable to test customers safely within the mobile test vehicle due to ventilation constraints.
If your or your pupil’s test booking is affected, we will send you an email to explain the impact on your test and what you need to do to rearrange the test.
Candidates will need to maintain a 2m distance within the test centre before taking their test.
Other safety measures that will be in place include:
- Protective transparent screens at reception desks
- Varriers between each of the work station which means all candidates are social distanced by 1m plus during their test
- Providing hand sanitiser to use on arrival, during the tests and when candidates leave the test centre
- Cleaning workstations (including computers and headphones) before every test
- Colleagues will wear a face covering (unless there’s a medical reason that it’s not recommended for them) and gloves
- Candidates will have to wear a face covering too, unless they have notified us in advance that they cannot
- Candidates must come into the test centre alone to help with social distancing
Driving Test Centre Waiting Rooms
The new social distancing measures mean we are currently limiting the number of people who can use the driving test waiting rooms in Wales. The maximum number of people who can use the waiting room will be displayed inside and outside of the test centre waiting room.
People using these rooms will need to keep a 2m distance from others and use the hand sanitiser as provided.
Examiners will meet candidates at their vehicle before their test.
Some waiting rooms will need to close where social distancing is not possible or examiners need to use these areas to allow them to socially distance whilst at work.
- Carmarthen (when the driving test centre manager is testing)
Candidates, Instructors and accompanying drivers will still be able to access the toilet at these sites on request.
If you are accompanying your pupils to test at any of these sites you can wait on-site if you need to in the car park, as long as it is in a safe location.